Friday, March 03, 2006

What's Important In Life?

Weekly Scripture:
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal." Matthew 6:19

The Purpose of Life

I believe each of us has many purposes in this life. I also believe that this life was not the beginning of us, nor will it be the end. We lived before we were born on earth and when we die, we will still be living, but in a different realm and temporarily without our physical bodies. We are here to gain experiences and to learn, grow, and be tested and tried. These are all wonderful and good purposes, but how does this relate to everyday life?

Setting Goals

One of the most important things we can do for ourselves is to set goals so that we know where we're going and what we're trying to achieve. It's very important to have those goals before us at all times so that we don't get distracted. My biggest goal in life is to live so that one day I will obtain eternal life. This affects the small and the big decisions I make every day. Sometimes, I must admit, it is easy to lose sight of this goal by getting caught up in other smaller goals such as making, saving, and spending money. Daily decisions such as what to eat, what to wear, and how to spend my time, also clutter my mind. Every once in a while, the question comes to me, "When I'm old and gray sitting in my rocking chair and looking back on my life, what things will bring joy to my soul? What things will I regret?"

What Really Matters in Life?

I happened to read a quote this week that brought this question again to my mind. It is by Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. He said, "Let us not live a life...that would bring regret....It is not going to matter very much how much money you made, what kind of a house you lived in, what kind of a car you drove, the size of your bank account - any of those things. What is going to matter is that dear woman who has walked with you side by side as your companion through all of the years of life and those children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren and their faithfulness and their looking to you...with respect and love and deference and kindness...
"The only things you will take with you, when all is said and done, are your family relationships...God bless us to be good fathers, ...good parents, and good husbands to our good wives."

Pres. Hinckley is right! When we die, we can't take any material possessions with us and ultimately they won't or shouldn't matter. The most important thing is to cultivate our relationships with our families and friends because these can last forever, even after death.

In the Bible

My husband and I have been reading a chapter in the New Testament every night, and last night we happened to read a passage where Christ himself discussed this subject. In Luke 12:16-23 Christ gives a parable of a man who's land made him very prosperous. He became so prosperous that he decided he needed bigger barns to store everything and he felt at ease and content that his worldly goods were so abundant. He went to bed, not knowing that his life would end that night and then who would possess all his goods? Not he! Jesus said, "So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

Becoming rich toward God involves selflessness, putting others before yourself, obeying the commandments, serving, doing unto others as you would have done unto you, being a good parent and spouse, and just being nice. When I look back, will I regret not spending more hours at work? Will I regret not washing my car more often? Will I regret not spending more time watching TV? I don't think so. I think I will wish I had spent more time with my family, that I'd called my parents more often, and that we'd had more family get-togethers. I feel that developing good relationships with others is really what it's all about, and now is the time to do something about it so that that old gray lady will have more thoughts of joy than of regret when she looks back.

No comments: