Friday, February 17, 2006

The Benefits of Fasting

Recently I have been re-reading a book on fasting by Paul and Patricia Bragg. It is very inspiring and informational about the benefits of fasting. Paul Bragg recommends a weekly 24-36 hour fast, as well as fasting 4 times a year for 7-10 days. I have tried the 24 hour fast, and in the church of which I am member, we have a 24 hour fast once a monthly.

I have fasted once a month since I was 8 years old, although not always for 24 hours. Most of the time as I was growing up, we only fasted for 2 meals. I was taught this was for spiritual reasons, to help me grow closer to my Heavenly Father and to augment my prayers when I had a special need. Later, I heard rumors that fasting is very good for me physically, too, because it gives the digestive tract a rest from it's constant work of breaking down food and absorbing nutrients.

As I became more interested in good health and eating practices, I learned more and more about these physical benefits of fasting. Here are several benefits that Paul Bragg talks about in his book called, "The Miracle of Fasting":

Fasting
- gives your body a break and helps you build up "vital force"
- Lets your body eliminate toxins that build up from environmental sources and
the foods we eat.
- Saves money
- Helps to "melt away the pounds"
- Helps overcome addictions to alcohol, smoking, and drugs
- Gives you more energy and helps you feel more alive

With all these benefits, why isn't fasting more commonly done? To be honest, it's not easy. It is a simple way to improve your health, but it is not always easy to ignore the hunger pains in your stomach. It takes dedication and self-control, and one must focus on the end goal - greater health. Praying while fasting is also of great worth and will help improve your spiritual health also.

I don't recommend fasting beyond 24 hours without some guidance, whether it be from books or from someone experienced in fasting. Therefore, I recommend you begin with the Bragg's book The Miracle of Fasting, which can be purchased in many health food stores or from the Bragge website

Scripture of the Week:
(Taken from "The Book of Mormon")

And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved. Omni 1:26


Quote of the Week:
A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings.
-Hippocrates

No comments: